Tuesday, October 31, 2006

My Ghost Story

A lot of good ghost stories take place in Thailand. Because in Thailand they believe in ghosts. It is part of their culture. They feed their dead ancestors on a daily basis. They give them a place to live in their houses and create a shrine to them. Essentially they ask for the ghosts to reside with them every day.

And I can tell you from the bottom of my little red veined heart that spirits listen.

I only have one tale that happened to me. I heard a lot of them. I felt chills up and down my back and the hair stand up on my arms more than once. I watched the teller’s face and had no doubt that they had been in the presence of a spirit. The spirits have a stronghold in that country. They have the power of belief and acknowledgement on their side. Belief is a force to be reckoned with whatever side it lies on.

I was a missionary in Thailand and lived there for 18 months. I was in one part of Bangkok for over 6 months. And resided in the same house for the whole time I was in that area. The Elders lived just 5 houses away in the same little neighborhood. There was some scary things that happened in their house but that is not my story for this Halloween Day. This is:

As missionaries we were required to sleep in the same room at night. One reason was because you were always supposed to be with your companion. For another, there was only one window air conditioner in the house and it was in the one bedroom. Therefore, you slept in the same room. It was a night no different than any of the others. I went to bed and quickly went to sleep. I woke up to find a presence hovering over the headboard of the bed. It was completely non material and was slightly emanating some kind of unearthly light. I was not disturbed by it at all. In fact, I felt really comforted by being in the realm of his glowing. The darkness of the room looked quite evil.
I knew it was a male spirit. And I knew that he was there to protect me. I looked around and there was another one at the foot of my bed. By now I was wide awake and I looked over at my companion’s bed and sure enough, there was two spirits at her bedside as well. I asked if they ever changed places, the head man and the foot man. And my voice came out in an icy breath that you could see in the room. He shook his head no.
And then suddenly there was quite a few other presences in the corner of my room. They were floating off the floor of that I am certain, although I have no idea how many there were. And they were singing. Somehow I knew, I knew if they stopped singing that my companion and I would not see the light of day. I could feel the pulsing of the evil outside their light. Outside the room. I could feel it’s anger and it’s power. But the singing was strong. StrongER. It was primary songs that I have known all my life. And they sang for what seemed like hours. I remember dozing off and waking back up to a different song. I remember singing along with them. I remember just knowing what the next song that they were going to sing was. And, yes, they were singing in English. My companion never woke up that night. I never thought to wake her either. They were enough. They stayed with me until sunlight came in through the window. The singers vanished first and then the two at the bed walked through the door. And my life became normal again.

I don’t tell this story that often. Who wants to be thought of as a loony? But there are unexplainable things that happen out there. Bad AND good things. So have fun trick or treating and make sure you save a candy bar for me.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I never heard this story before.

I have to give a talk about Mormon Missionary Folklore in two weeks-- can I pick your brain?