Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Being a bitch vs Being bitchy

My definition of being a bitch: being bitchy and being proud of the fact. I know women like this. I abhor those license plate holders that say “zero to bitch in 60 seconds” but it explains it perfectly.

My definition of being bitchy: what I did this last weekend AND then feeling remorse.

We went to the cabin Wednesday to Sunday. My mother, father, brother and sister in law, my sister and her boyfriend all came up Wednesday to Friday. I was proactive and brought up a friend for all 3 of my children. That means that I was responsible for 6 children and the above 6 people were responsible for none. I really have immersed myself in parenting and have completely forgotten what not having children is like. My siblings reminded me. If you are on vacation AND you have no children, you are children yourself. Hedonistic children. And there is nothing wrong with that. It is just very annoying to the one sibling that has children.

Add to that a husband who also was on vacation and did nothing but snowmobile and watch football and I was feeling (and acting) very bitchy. We had invited 4 family friends to come up for the weekend. My bitchiness continued through the weekend party and I am sure that they will never go anywhere with us again.

Bart called it “cabin fever” which maybe it was…..to a point. I was “stuck” in the cabin. I had not brought a book. I cannot sit down, “enjoy myself” and ignore chaos going on around me as I was on call for all children issues. As well as kitchen duty. And I can only take football for an hour. Not 3 days. Mostly I concentrate my “pointed silences” and my “drop dead looks” to Bart who after 13 years is very used to it. He ignores it. As soon as I got home and was
able to be in control?
Not be responsible for the going ons at the cabin?
Watch something besides football?
Focus on something else besides my expections of Bart
that he was definately not fulfilling?
Did not have to work at having fun?
Who knows?
I was just fine. Except for that remorse. Which hopefully makes me not a bitch.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Of course you are not a bitch. BUT HOW COULD YOU, OF *ALL* PEOPLE NOT BRING A BOOK??????

Lovely talking to you today! :)