Monday, December 26, 2005

December 25

So I was born on Christmas Day. Along with Annie Lennox, Sissy Spacek and Jimmy Buffett. And my sister in law. And Jesus. But this season I was reminded of another wonderful Christmas story.

December 23, 1776 Thomas Paine wrote these words: THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated. Britain, with an army to enforce her tyranny, has declared that she has a right (not only to TAX) but "to BIND us in ALL CASES WHATSOEVER" and if being bound in that manner, is not slavery, then is there not such a thing as slavery upon earth. Even the expression is impious; for so unlimited a power can belong only to God.

George Washington with his small leftovers of an army was sitting in Valley Forge when Thomas Paine came to see the soldiers. The British should’ve come and decimated the sickly army in Valley Forge but they didn’t. They knew that all of the soldier’s drafts ended on December 31st so they thought they would wait it out. Instead Washington was inspired by Paine’s words to cross the Delaware on December 25th and defeat the Hessian troops residing in Trenton. During this battle, Washington did not lose one man.

I LOVE THIS. I love the words that Thomas Paine wrote. I love how they can bring a lump to one’s throat. I love that words can inspire. I love that Thomas Paine and George Washington were men of God. I love that God was completely involved in our war for freedom. I love that I was reminded of how cherished our freedom is and should be. I love that the reminder came on Christmas. It was the best present I received.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Girl! I hope you had a great birthday! Me on Halloween, you on Christmas! I have to say, your blog is so much fun to read and you are such a good writer! I hope you also had a great Christmas. How is work? You must email me an update! Thanks for all the laughs, tears and inspiration! I seriously love the blog! :)