Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Merry Birthday and Happy Christmas

My coworker's birthday was yesterday. Do you think anyone remembered? Hell, no. It is December.
My sister's birthday is today. Happy sweet 35, sis! I mean, 29!
My brother in law's birthday is December 23rd. Husband to above sister.
My birthday AND my sister in law's birthday is December 25th. Yes, THE DAY OF. I have gone through my whole life sharing it with Jesus and then I have to marry into a family where the spoiled baby girl has to share my birthday as well. And now as I get older and wiser and wrinklier I don't want to even think about it but we must celebrate her birthday so we must acknowledge Kim's birthday as well.

This is how much I don't think about my birthday. Probably one of the best birthdays I have had was a surprise. My mother called and PRE planned a Christmas shopping trip about 2 years ago. I thought she was being quite on the ball. She came and picked me up and we proceeded down to Gardner's Village. A place where you don't shop with children. My sister on foot met the car in the parking lot which I thought was odd but oh well. (She was the lookout for all of you that are as naive as I) She vanished while we were parking our car. We then proceeded into the main store there at the Old Mill. I was astonished to see one of my good friends there shopping.
"Carol! What are you doing here?!? Are you Christmas shopping too?"
We chatted for a few minutes and then I was ready to head off with my mom who I had made plans with. Carol just sortof followed me to the next area of the store where I saw another one of my good friends.
"Michelle! Ohmigosh! I can't believe it! What are you doing here? This is Carol, a friend I just bumped into to as well. This is crazy!" I was still oblivious to the plan until yet another friend popped up on the horizon.
I, of course, could not have made myself look any stupider or put on a better show.
"Heidi! How can this be!!!! How can you all be here at the same time? Mom, look at this. Look who is here?!?!"
By now they are just all looking at me with sympathetic grins on their face that this poor woman that they call friend cannot figure out a simple little surprise birthday dinner get together for her. But it was a surprise. And it was fun. And secretly I wish they would do it again for me..........Or maybe I will do it for Bart for his birthday this next year.

1 comment:

Jen said...

hahahahahahahahahaha, Kim, you are a retard! Hahahahahaha. That was a great story.

Have you found Dooce's house yet?