Friday, February 24, 2006

Kodak movements

Cameras are the bomb. They capture so much and I completely agree that a picture is sometimes worth 1000 words. However, there are also rapturous things that cameras cannot capture. Or in deference to Spookalot, my camera and I cannot capture them. Remember in Hitch when Will Smith says that 90% of communication is body language or movement? Do you also remember when dude was showing Will how he could dance? The Q-tip. The Q-tip. That was hysterical but I digress. This week’s emotion was evoked by some very poignant motion.
The dog will be 7 weeks next Tuesday. He is definitely feeling more comfortable at our house and out in the yard. Today he actually walked to the edge of his fenced world without looking back to see if I was following right behind him. He loves the rose garden. He joyfully leaps in between the bushes. Like a rabbit. Like a deer. All four paws leaving the earth at the same time and coming down in a sideways motion. Those little hops convey a sense of such complete singleminded bliss. He has no other thoughts except to be. He is reveling in the power that he has over his muscles and his body. He is immersed in the new smells and sights that the world has to offer him. Sigh.
Ryan will be 13 this August. She is definitely entering into the teen phase of her life. I know the hormones are raging and I worry about her more often than not. I recognize the confusion, restlessness and teen angst in her eyes at times. But not at soccer games. Last Saturday we had an indoor soccer game. She is starting forward. Red shorts. Blue shirt. Ponytails. I watch from the sidelines and I see my little girl run toward the ball. Her strides are sure and long. Her body is beautiful. I can’t describe the air of health and growth that surrounds her as she powers up to meet the ball. Her shorts softly mold and encase her brown legs that become a blur in my camera and I can’t capture the moment. And then the kick. Her foot knows how to connect to the ball and she makes a goal. Her eyes are sparkling. Her hand comes up in an arc and slaps Kelsey’s proffered hand in a high five. A connection that says everything. Synergy at it’s best.
Finally, Cooper. Always Cooper. Cooper jumping on the tramp. Cooper catching a football thrown by his Grandpa. Cooper trying to wink and not just blink. Cooper running his fingers through his hair, his method of calming down. Cooper laughing at a joke.
So, in all in all, this week was pretty damn good.

1 comment:

Jen said...

That was a beautiful post. I have read it many times, just too lazy to comment!