Sunday, August 27, 2006

My pick for the Grammy

I am watching Notting Hill right now.

I have decided at this instant that it is my all time favorite movie.

It has my all time favorite scene in it.

It has my all time favorite conversation lines in it.

"Big feet..........large shoes." "It's as if I have taken love heroin." "Happiness isn't happiness without a violin playing goat." "Flopsy"

And it has my all time favorite sidekick in it. Rhys. He is classic.

And finally it uses my all time favorite song. It is simply my favorite song because it makes my heart become disconnected from my body and slowly slide down my face. Every time. Every damn time. No matter what.

I can't believe that my version of real love comes from a movie. A carefully scripted and fantastically casted movie but nevertheless a product of Hollywood.

Truly, when Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant try to climb over a fence and get into a little park at the end of their first date I have to stick myself in the freezer to keep from melting all over the couch. I have been at that park. I have laughed at those jokes. I have had that moment and looked into someone else's eyes. And it was oh, so breathtaking. Somehow they captured the magic and put it on a DVD so that I could have and keep that moment on my shelf.

I never wanted to stash that moment on a dusty shelf but there is no room for it with all the diapers and homework and soccer call lists that seem to take up all the room on my counters.

I hope with every molecule in my body that there will be a time for it soon. And that the magic will show up and surprise and delight me. Because it is one of the few ways I know of that really allows you to know you are living life and not just moving along with the current.

But for now I will continue to watch Notting Hill and hope.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Is the song "She"? I love that movie and the Soundtrack too. LOVE it.