Thursday, August 24, 2006

Kissing Summer Goodbye

3 months. 90 days. Can it be over?




Ryan and McKenzie featured here go back to school on Monday. Chase and Cooper have already been back 4 weeks now. I have been ignoring the signs of fall for that long now. It is so evident that the days are getting shorter. Not cooler yet but definately shorter. Thank goodness Mother Nature knows that it is hard enough to get kids to go to bed for early school mornings without an super duper elongated day.

You gotta love her.

Just as my flowers are a little wilted from all the hot rays of succulent sun she opens her arms and starts throwing out manna from heaven.


You don't even need to go into the kitchen to create a meal. You can stay outside in her living room with the trampoline boy.

Because this summer as Ryan turned 13 you realized that 13 years just went like "snap" and they were over. Gone. Done. How many peaches did I make her eat? How many peaches did I eat with her? Did I teach her that peaches were better than french fries? Did I watch her do enough somersaults on the tramp that she knows I love her? Does she feel enough security that she can let go of childhood and become a little lady?

Mother Nature is certainly as busy working on her Ryan creation as she is tending to the tomatoes in my garden.



They are both almost ripe. So maybe while I am trying to say my goodbyes to summer, Ryan is really saying "Hello. I didn't know you were right behind me. So glad you're here. We are going to have such a good time."

Saying goodbye to summer and my baby may just prove to be beyond the balm of a simple BLT sandwich.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I think I just had a panic attack reading this!