Thursday, October 27, 2005

High Fructose Corn Syrup

Even though I regard the old adage “You are what you eat” as true, I don’t always treat my body the right way. Well, define the right way. I don’t monitor what I put into my body. I don’t stick with the proteins and the fruits and vegetables. I don’t always stop myself from being swayed by the sugar powered carbohydrates or the brightly colored fats that show up on my kitchen counters. I have, however, stopped drinking soda completely. I have been soda free for the past 3, almost 4 months. Yea for me! I think that my body has been more excited about this than most anything else that I have ever done. I feel less tired. I have lost weight. AND I have stopped having cravings for sugary things at night. Wow! I feel like a testimonial infomercial.
Cravings are evil things. Cravings are illogical, irrational and above all utterly impossible to ignore in most cases. My boss is always lecturing us on the evils of high fructose corn syrup. It is literally in every single thing made by Kraft, Nabisco, Breyers and General Mills. Apparently it contains ingredients that make you feel hungrier (for mostly sugar) than what you really are. And so I have come to believe this due to what is happening in my body. Sugar begets sugar.

Halloween candy and Bart are other evil things. He bought about 7 big bags of candy and they are slowly becoming just big empty bags. Last night I had my first craving for Dairy Queen or soda at about 9 pm that I have had in a long time. I know it is because of the candy bars that I have been partaking in. But do I stop eating the candy? I think you all know the answer.

No comments: