Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Help! I am stumped

I am assistant coach for Ryan's soccer team. Her team consists of 16 girls that are 10 to 12 years old. Yesturday I had to coach the practice. I am constantly amazed at how catty and spoiled girls actually can be. And yet I remember my childhood. I have no problem admitting that my gender is the most ugly and the most petty. Yuch! I hated most girls.

And now I get to relive that through my daughter. I may be biased or she may have already been affected living with me and my calling her out on all that bullshit but she is less catty than some OR just less verbal about her cattiness. Thank goodness. But that does not help my relationships with the other girls. I have been primary teacher for the 11/12 year olds for 3 years now and have struggled. Now I have another 16 girls that just make my toes curl sometimes.

"You just took me out because you hate me." (This one just renders me utterly speechless.)

"We have to be on the same team! You have to put us together! We will not separate! Oh, we don't want Jennie on our team. Let her be blue."

"Coach, can I go in now? I will sub in for any player. Please!"
"Ok, go in for Kelsey. She is right back (defense)" "No, I don't want to go in on defense. I won't go in."

And just general talking amongst themselves while Jon (real coach) or I am talking to them. How rude!

Life is just not long enough for all the insignificant traumas that girls make up to make a scene about. However, I know I have 8 more years of this so help me! What should be ignored, what should be absolutely not tolerated and what should be laughed at?

I was talking to this woman at the soccer park who coaches girls volleyball for our High School. She said that she spent more time coaching them how to be friends than how to play the game. And that she actually had parents call her and tell her that she couldn't be mean to their daughters while they were having PMS. She is now coaching boys and she says she will never go back to the dark side.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Laugh at all of it, or ignore it.

Boy am I glad I only have boys!!! But boys get bullied...