Monday, April 16, 2007

Just make sure you do it the wrong way

Well, this past weekend I had to teach a lesson in Relief Society. It is the organization for the women in my church. It is a little more frightening than teaching a lesson to children and I took quite a bit of time preparing. I think that I made certain, though, that it will never happen again. I adlibbed at the end due to lack of time and managed to blurt that I hated visiting teaching. Now luckily nobody I go visiting teaching to was in the class but my partner was. And I just don't feel that they would risk a repeat of anything that honest again.

However, there was a funny part to all this. We have several older ladies in our ward. Some of them have reached the old AND funny part of their life. Most of the time the funny part isn't something they are in complete control of. This particular women was in this group. She always sits in the front. She has been known to tell about her dreams of heavenly fiancees and that is why she is now wearing an engagement ring. She has also stopped a teacher in the middle of her lesson and asked if she could give her own little sermon and then proceed to talk about the things she had written down on a piece of paper during the lesson. I was talking about something nice I had done for Bart and I finished it saying that I could have bowled him over with a feather. I proceeded onto other part of the lesson and she then raised her hand.
"If you will allow me. I have just a bit of criticism." She is a small woman and she definitely has a sense of timing. She gave a dramatic pause. My mind raced. Here it comes. what do I say after this?
"Sure." I say.
"I think that you might need to feed your husband a bit more if you could have bowled him over with a feather." The wind stopped rushing in my ears as I laughed but I am still curious as to how my face looked. Thank goodness another sister had the presence of mind to quip back, "Honey, you wouldn't say that if you had seen her husband."

Bart's only response to this story was:
"Are you telling me that Rolayne is calling me fat?"

I definitely think they will have decided the relief society is not for me after this week, don't you?

1 comment:

Jen said...

You know, this brings back so many memories.

The thing that irks the most about this story is the name Rolayne. It makes my teeth hurt. Utah people come up with the DUMBEST names for their kids. They are worse than people from Missouri.