Sunday, April 22, 2007

Apparently I am a feminist

It has been a rough week. We had to pay taxes. A lot of taxes. We lost a lot of money in the stock market at the same time. I was bored stiff at work and know I definitely need to make a change. Ryan's soccer team lost a game on Wednesday with a score of 9-1. It was like going to a Jazz game. It has been horrible winter weather this week. All of this made me think that we haven't gone out in a long time and we needed an adult evening. So I called my friends and we made a date to go out to this new steakhouse that I have been wanting to go to but haven't because you have to make reservations in advance and we are just not that forward looking.

My friend's husbands are just stupid idiots.

One of my friend's girls went to Prom last night. She was telling us about dresses, hair, the boy, pictures, activities. I don't know how we actually got to the whole end of the night kissing thing but her husband, the girl's dad, emphatically stated that his daughter had damn well kiss the boy after such a date. That she was getting what she wanted out of the dance. The nails done, the new dress, a good time and so she better give the boy what he wanted. A kiss at the end of the night.
My other friend's husband agreed with that. That women are obligated to kiss the man after a date.

My, oh, my! I know that these guys are back woods-I-adore-Jeff-Foxworthy-rednecks but ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!??! And he was talking about his daughter. I thought I was going to come across the table at him with my knife. (But since we had paid our taxes this week, I couldn't afford the restaurant damage expenses.) I couldn't let it lie. I had to speak up for the correct way of thinking. I was livid. It is that kind of thinking that leads to date rape. It is that kind of thinking that teaches children that women are not able to make their own decisions. That there is some kind of cultural commandment that is more important than their feelings about who they want to kiss. They always laugh at me because they all think I live in a bubble and they used that one on me last night. "Kim, it would be nice to live in your world where it's not the case that boys just want the kiss or the make out session or the sex but we don't live in that world." I love how having a good time when going out is now completely the girl's responsiblity. AND on top of that, you have to put out as well. Apparently when you are married to cavemen that is exactly true.
I am mortified that these men are my friends. And I am seriously thinking that they are no longer my friends. I definitely feel that these two ladies that are their spouses (my friends) have grown up and found a different identity than that of what they were when they married. And that is why these guys are still my friends. I like their wives but last night I wanted to poke their eyes out with my fork and flick them into the street. I finally said "Change the subject" because neither side would budge and it wasn't a fun atmosphere for me anymore. Brian just kept on bringing it up. He was a grade A ASSHOLE last night. He even asked the waitress for her opinion and then wouldn't deal with it as she sided with me. Duh!
So prudently, my husband stayed out of the conversation and talked to our friend's mother in law that was in town and had accompanied us for the evening. He has not brought up the dinner today as well. There is some intelligence in him but really, sometimes I think did I marry into the wrong sub species?

3 comments:

Jen said...

Good for you for standing up for women and those guys' own daughters. Ugh! I cannot imagine that your friends actually agree with their husbands. Do they?

What a nightmare. What is a girl to do when her own father is feeding her that kind of bullshit?

Me (BB) said...

Not all of us with dangling parts are grade A assholes. (Well maybe we are, just in different areas!) I would have gladly stood with you in this argument. On a side not, I'm afraid to go out to dinner with you an Bart now. What if we get into over something?!! Taxes are a bitch, but paying them means you made some bank this year. That is always a good thing.

Anonymous said...

So their fathers want their daughters to be prostitutes? Because that's what it is. If a young man invests in a woman for an evening, and she is obligated to reward him in some sexually fulfilling way, that's prostitution. Pure and simple. I paid. You owe.

Let's call a spade a spade.