Monday, April 09, 2007

Just as I Suspected

We went down to Glenwood as tradition dictates for the Easter egg hunt. This year Bart and I both took off Friday and headed down at 6 am in the morning. As soon as we got there the boys were on their motorcycles.







I knew that Ryan was not all that excited to go down and tried to get a friend to come with her but it was Easter weekend so it was no surprise that she was flying solo. Wait, I forget she brought her big old teenage attitude with her. She spent most of Friday in the trailer that we parked in the back yard. Made a bed for herself, loaded the portable DVD/TV up with movies and napped, listened to her IPOD and watched movies. Frequently we would go in to make sure she was still alive but she wasn't much into moving.




I am still so much in awe at the depth of feeling that I have for this podunk hick town of 350 people. I see beauty there everywhere I look whether it is scrub oak, cactus, dirt roads or eyefuls of valley floor.



There are a couple of abandoned homes there in town that I have had an eye on for more than a little while. The real reason for going down on Friday was to make it to the county recorder's office to find out who owns that property so we could start trying to buy some land. I told Bart he had to call because it would be most likely that it would be somebody he knew and they would be more helpful. Sure enough, the sister of one of his good friends was on the other end of the phone. We still had to go down to the office but we got all the info we wanted and more. The ladies thought it was hysterical that Cooper sings while in the restroom. Something so normal to me, I was struck with thankfulness that this crazy exuberant kid was sent to me. I like tinkling to tunes. Anyways, after all that, as we were toodling around town on our motorized vehicles, Bart bumped into a couple of old neighbors and found out about a couple of 5 acre lots for sale that are so much better. So many opportunities that could be exciting. I don't know why I want to own a piece of that land down there but I do. And so I am going to. Later we played lacrosse in the back yard yelling at Ryan through the window of the trailer so it felt a little like family fun. Cooked steak on the barbeque and watched the Jazz game.


Ryan finally came in and slept in the house......with Friday. Doesn't she look a bit like Mr. Tumnus with her human top and animal bottom in the sleeping bag?




It was lovely until the others got there Saturday morning. Chase felt sick and so he was now the one who didn't move from a couch for the whole day. Cooper, Lily, Ryan, Daci, Bart and I went to the Annual Easter Egg hunt. Observation:We noticed an extreme decrease in the amount of chocolate that was offered the kids. Standards are not being followed. We then went home and had our own easter egg hunt for Ryan in the back yard. Now that she is 13 she is no longer invited to partake in the Glenwood easter egg hunt and so we had to make our own. Cooper begged for another motorcycle ride so Bart took him and Lily and I got to working on the motorcycle track in the back yard. Nolan's yard is about an acre. His house sits on in the middle of 1/2. On the other half is a dilapidated chicken coop and a shed. So we brought ground paint and drew our own Indy 500 track. The weather was so beautiful that we all just wanted to stay outside. Plus, Lily wasn't quite so accomplished on the motorcycle so this track was just her style. Chase was finally feeling better so we divided our time between four wheeling and motorcycling around town and going for longer rides outside on the hills. Had pork sandwiches for dinner. We were instructed to call them dragon meat because Lily refuses to eat any portion of pig. Colored eggs and made little egg babies with eyes and mouths and yarn hair for Cooper and Lily. My camera was not working and I am very sad about that because really, those little egg babies were pieces of art. Watched the Jazz lose again (Daci told her father to 'kiss her ass' in front of my children and her own when he told her to eat at the table and not on the couch.) then watched Eragon out in the trailer as we went to bed.

Sadly the Easter Bunny fell asleep during the movie and never woke up again during the night. There was a little bustling in the morning but it was ok. It was a very easy year for the bunny as he had already given out motorcycles and spring clothes earlier in the season. We had about 3 hours of sunshine in the morning so Ryan and Bart went for a drive and Cooper, Chase, Grandpa, Carla, Lily and I played baseball out in the backyard. Friday was the best outfielder we have ever seen. Bart and Ryan came back and we even got Ryan to play. Observation: Threats still work well with her. Acting on yet another tradition, we then went to the hills and rolled all the eggs down to the bottom. Friday ate to his heart's content. I was nervous but there hasn't seemed to be a consequence to his actions yet. And then the rain came back and we were rained in for the rest of the day. Observation: Rain on top of the trailer is the best sound. Drove home about 7 pm. Watched WarGames with Matthew Broderick while we were driving home.

All in all, it was a good weekend but there were some hard moments when I had to bite THROUGH my tongue to keep from speaking. And I am really considering not going down again if she is going to be there. For the sake of goodness sakes!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Aw, it sounds like you had a great weekend overall. And she didn't end up ruining it. Wow, I have to admit I was shocked at what she said to her father in front of the children about eating at the table.

But the rest of it sounds so great, I'd hate to see you lose out on that.

Tell me more about the property you want to buy down there!