Saturday, May 27, 2006

An Interesting Thing Happened on the Way to Preschool

On Thursday I brought Ryan with me to go pick up Cooper from preschool. She got in the car and started the conversation off with
"The boys have a new nickname for me."

Me: What would that be?

Ryan: Extra flat.

Pause. Then me: Is that referring to what I think it is referring to?

Ryan: My boobs.

She was mostly amused by this little title that she had recieved. So I kept the conversation in the same tone.

Me: Compared to who? (Her two best friends still look like they are in 5th grade. Real cute but small and far from puberty.)

Ryan: Deeanna.

Well, at least the boys had good eyesight and comparison skill. (Are these as valuable as say, bowhunting skills?) These are boys that I don't know at all. They are not in the neighborhood, they have never called the house and they keep threatening to show up to a soccer game but so far they are a no show. I LIKE THEM.

Then I get a phone call on my cell phone. It is Shalene, my friend and mother of a girl in Chase's fifth grade class.

Shalene: Kim, did you know that Chase got married at school today?

Kim: Nope, never got an invitation. What?!?

Shalene: I got at least 3 phone calls this morning from Savannah trying to get dressed for the day. She said that she had to wear blue and white to come to the wedding today at recess and she couldn't find her white shirt that she wanted to wear.

Kim: Married? (I felt like Jake Ryan in Sixteen Candles asking about Samantha to Long Duck Dong.)

Shalene: Yes, married. (With not much of an asian accent, unfortunately.) What did Chase wear this morning?

Kim: He wore all black.

Ryan, chortling: Like a tuxedo.

Kim: Who is he marrying? I don't even have a clue who it would be.

Shalene: I don't know. I am going to pick up the kids right now and I will see if I can get the low down. I am telling you this just because I hope that somebody will tell me if something this interesting happens to my children at school.

20 minutes later we are on the phone again.

Shalene: They didn't get married. Apparently the girl didn't know about it and wouldn't succumb to peer pressure. She wouldn't get married during recess.

Kim: So Chase got stood up at the altar. How hard at such a young age!

Chase and Kim's conversation: next blog

1 comment:

Jen said...

That is hilarious! Your kids are hilarious!