Monday, August 29, 2005

Die video games! Die!

Well, the battle has already been in a fevered pitch for many years at my house but it has accelerated into the next World War.

First, Bart and I agreed not to get a nintendo/playstation thing until Chase was older because we didn't like how bewitched he was at Grandma's house. We loved that he got to play and learn over at Grandma's house because it was sporadic and infrequent enough that we didn't have to set limitations. When he became 8 (which is still quite young) we gave in, researched and bought the Nintendo Game cube for the boy. Every single one of his friends already had one of the blasted boxes at their house and if we wanted to ever see our boy or have any say in what games he played we decided that we had to make the option available at our house, under our roof, within our earshot. We decided on the Game Cube because it was a little more kid oriented. Playstation has many too many mature games for adults and we didn't want that. Also Game cube allows 4 little 8 year old boys to sit around simultaneously with purple, black and blue paddles and save the world.

Chase is now a big little boy of 10. We are the Kool Aid house when it comes to the video gaming. I know what game the boys are playing and I know where he is and who he is with. I have considered that a good thing and since he mostly gets good grades have been fairly lenient on any time restrictions.

However, this the year of the coming of Nintendo age for Cooper. He is 4. (Too young.) He is addicted as bad as the older one. I don't necessarily mind that he plays the games but I do mind the horrific moaning and gasping when I have to turn the game off.......for whatever reason. It is almost like they are fish and they can only come out of the water for 2 minutes and if they are not reattached to the paddle in that short time span they die. Thank heavens most bathroom breaks can be accomplished in this time frame! Whew!

Well, school has now started for both the older ones. Cooper will start preschool after Labor Day. I say this like I planned this coup for this time frame but really it was the morning that Cooper got up out of his bed and instead of coming into my room to see me, he went directly into Chase's room and attached himself to the paddle.

(in whispers) This morning the video game box went bye bye until Friday afternoon at 2 pm when Chase gets home from school.......and it will come to pass that there will be a great weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth in the land of the Petersons.

I am still the mother and I will prevail for a little longer.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Awesome!

Yeah, during the school year, the X-Box is not in use until weekends-- and they only get it every other weekend because the other times they are with Dad (who has a Playstation).

Sp00kalot said...

Well, my husband is 34 and is an Xbox addict. I am certain that our children, whenever they are born, will also be Xbox addicts. I never got into any of the games except for Lora Croft's Tomb Raider, and Tiger Wood's Golf. I must say, after awhile, you start to "move" like the characters. I go to turn the corner and think "X, Square, tap tap". NOT good. When we completed Tomb Raider, it was like a member of our family died. Then they made the movie, and I was the first one there to see it. I dont admit that to many because I am NOT a video person, but that is what happened.

I wish you luck with your children.

PS. I got your email! THANK YOU! And you are welcome! Having never meet you, I really tried to get a feel for you with your pictures and what Jen has told me. You are a really cool person, and I'm glad I made something that you enjoy :)

Jen said...

See? This should go right to your in-box.