Thursday, January 31, 2008

Slow and Steady wins the Race

When Bart and I were newly married, we had the opportunity to redecorate our room. It was mandated that it must be masculine. I don't really remember if I was still in the the honeymoon stage or what but I went along with a duck hunter theme. Our colors were green, blue and maroon.
In our second house I remember deciding it was time for a new theme in the master bedroom. I wanted something a little more feminine. Bart came completely undo. He would call me in the middle of the day several time a day making sure I was not out shopping for flowery bedding. I couldn't believe the sudden interest in interior design. Finally I found a bedding set that I really liked. Of course, it was flowery. I stood in the store and debated with myself. I decided that I did know my husband well enough. He was too lazy to act if the bedding was already bought AND the bed was already made up. Sure I would take the grumbling but the battle would be won. I bought the bedding. And I made up the bed.
And that night I slept alone in my flowery wonderland. Bart slept on the couch because he would not sleep in flowers. And he slept on the couch the next night as well. I learned just how stubborn my husband could be. And it was not a pretty sight. I settled for stripes and solids in that house.
We are now living in our fourth house. Bart is very aware that I have a bedding fetish. All beds in my house have at least 3 sets of sheets and then another 2 sets of flannels. I don't insist on real expensive bedding but I do insist on routine change for cleanliness and beauty. Bart and I are well into our second decade of marriage. And right now Bart is upstairs sleeping in flowery sheets and on top of those flowery sheets is a flowery piece quilt. This week is the first week that I have ever dared put both flowery inside bedding and flowery outer bedding covers on our bed. And for past two nights it has been something akin to glee that I feel when I look over and see a flower above his eyebrow and know there is a flower under his bum and a flower hovering over his foot.

2 comments:

Jen said...

That is freaking hilarious.

Quelly said...

Oh my goodness! I love it! I miss you!