Sunday, January 27, 2008

They kicked my butt

So, for the past 4 months I have been teaching kindergarten. It has been an interesting change of pace in my life. I think that it is probably what I should have invested my college career in but feeling so rebellious at Brigham Young University I could not have entered into the Elementary Education program. It is a shame that I really didn't know myself that well back then. And that is one of my regrets that I really don't feel like I got anything substantial out of college as far as education goes. But we were talking about kindergarten.
I was hired because the two other kindergarten teachers felt that they needed to split their classes of 26 each to be able to have better control. I was able to help them with that. I would like to say that I got all the bad ones and while I certainly have my own share and likely another share as well, the other teachers still have their hands full.
My other two colleagues both just finished their master degrees in elementary education. Both are mothers and just as busy as I or more so. I really like both of them even though their styles could not be more different. They were a big part of the reason that I chose this school and kindergarten rather than another position in a more prestigious school teaching 6th grade part time. The other reason was the school's proximity to my house and the principal of the school I am currently working at.
However, all these wonderful people do not abide with me in the classroom. It is just me, myself and I along with my 19 little compadres. And sometimes the ratio is not a good one. Just last Thursday I was evaluated by my principal. He is intimately aware of my students and our problems. He was the one who suspended one. He is the one that took the phone call about another one trying to burn down his house. He knows. However, I had put together a very good lesson that included "engaging learning activities." (That means fun.) I know what a regular day looks like in my classroom but this day was beyond even my expectations.
Their are several survival techniques that I employ on a daily basis. I love small group. I am a believer that most intellectual learning happens during small group. Whole group is just simply a social skills lesson at all times which is what is needed in kindergarten. The principal must witness a whole group activity,(usually lesson) a team activity (game played at tables of 5. Sharing and taking turns is so hard for kindergarteners) and an individual assessment. (worksheet) He ended up not just taking but carrying Mr. Suspension out of the classroom during the whole group activity and then Mr. Pyro was physically placed in time out during the team activity.

They kicked my butt.

I love school because every day is new. For me. For them. I showed up on Friday and after going over listening procedures and spending a few minutes having the class observe the top of their tables close up we had a pretty good day.

I am interested to see what Monday will bring.

2 comments:

Jen said...

This is where you belong. You sound so *right* in this job. Wow. I am blown away.

You make it all sound like so much fun. I wish I had had a better experience with teaching. Your principal sounds awesome.

Bridge said...

Aren't observations/evaluations so fun?! You plan like crazy to get a great lesson together. You try to be uber prepared. And yet it doesn't matter what you've done, some kid will decide to do something that's NOT according to plan. Yes, teaching kicked my butt too.