Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Firsts and Lasts

Even Bart knew that we had an important moment this weekend. It was one of the last firsts of childhood that we will ever have again. I mean, we still have all kinds of new firsts coming. I mean we have had the first failed class, the first boyfriend, the first purple hairdo already. Some up and coming firsts I dread are still to come: first kisses, first staying out past curfew, first driving lesson and first school dance. Please, please, please let there be no first matching date shirts in my future. And if there is that first, let it be the last as well.
I was very bad at keeping track of all the childhood firsts. I didn't have one of those calendars that I wrote down the first tooth, the first word, the first step of any of my children. And I feel a little guilty for that. But I do have documented evidence of another important first for all three of the kids. I do have pictures of every single one of my children learning how to ride a two wheeler.
I was a little seifish with Cooper. He very well could've been two wheeling it last year but he was so into his scooter and I really didn't want this new phase of grownup hood to happen that soon so I put it off. Bart took off his training wheels off his orange bike and didn't even get to run beside him to get him going. He just took off. No hands, figure 8s, standing up and definately not looking for cars. He has it all down pat.
I think we are officially out of the baby stage of our lives. And so if you see me riding my bike behind a 5 year old Lance Armstrong and the wind is making my eyes water, it might not be the wind so much.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Yeah, well, it's not the wind so much in my eyes right now either.

Beautifully done, Kimmerly.