Thursday, July 21, 2005

harry potter

Well, I finished the 6th book. And there is nobody to talk about it with. Everybody is either just starting or finishing up 5. Granted, nobody has had a route this week and listened to it on CD while they were driving around the avenues at 4 in the morning.

J K Rowling is a very good writer. This book was so good. I loved how she spent a lot of time on the daily going ons at Hogwarts and what lovestruck 16 year olds are doing. After I was finished the with book, I appreciated it even more as it will be the last of the Hogwarts chapters. Well, if the 7th book goes on from what the 6th book says Harry is going to do. I was amazed at how she inserted this whole new "realm" of dark magic into the 6th book of the series and worked it in so well that I immediately allowed it into my paradigm of the wizarding world. She is doing a great job at tying up all her ends and explaining Lord Voldemort and his power. He was so elusive and beyond reason in the first two books I thought. I mean, he was attached to somebody's head, for crying out loud.

And yes, somebody important does die. And I cried. But I think it was mostly for the end of the book and the end of the Hogwarts era and the people that were left behind. We all thought that Harry had to grow up so much in the earlier books but now......I can't even imagine the 7th book. And I can't imagine how Alan Rickman is going to change his way of playing Snape now that he reads the 6th book. Snape is such a prat!

Yes, Bart laughs at me. How all these characters become something more to me than real life people. My gosh, Monica and Rachel and Chandler were part of our family for years. Still are, really. And I guess, judging by book sales that Harry Potter and Ron Weasley are part of most everyone's family. What an amazing thing for JK Rowling to have created them. The writer in me bows down before her in awe. As well as Diane Gabaldon.

But back to Harry......I am so sad that the next book is the last. I almost don't want it to come. And at the same time, J K Rowling is going to have to get the 7th book out soon as the 6th ends so precariously. Will she make us wait another year?!?

No comments: