Friday, February 22, 2008

Still Looking for an Answer

Last week Raymond had a problem in the bathroom. He peed on another child.

I share bathrooms with the other afternoon kindergarten teacher and one of her students was lucky enough to get peed on. Raymond has been having some problems lately but even so I sincerely doubted that he had peed on another child on purpose.
There are two open stalls in the boys bathrooms. I maintained to the other teacher that if someone was in my stall and playing around I would have peed on them as well. (Would've been a little harder for me.) We also wondered if they weren't sharing the toilet. Anyways, I did share the story with Raymond's father, laughed about it with Bonnie and decided we needed a "first book" for this year. Bonnie has been teaching school for 10 years and she says she has never had so many "firsts." Mind you, most are not the firsts you want to be associated with. I was the first to have a kindergartner suspended.....in the school's history. (He hit the principal.) The good times just keep rolling!

This week one of my students came out of the bathroom and reported that Raymond peed on the floor. I waited for a personal moment with him and asked why he did that. Raymond's disturbing response was "I do that every time." Teaching is certainly not limited to curriculum here in kindergarten. We are the lucky ones that get to expound on most every subject. Including toilet etiquette. Again I shared the story with his father. I was not prepared for the response.

"Yea, when Raymond pooped in the cat litter box last week I asked him why he did it and he said "I thought it would be fun.""

What is there to say to that?

1 comment:

Jen said...

Maybe I can be more helpful after I have stopped laughing.