Thursday, June 15, 2006

Quilt starts with Q

I just wanted to show off something I did. I went to Thailand as a missionary and stayed there for 18 months back in 90 and 91. (forever ago.) I kept my dresses --certainly not because I ever wanted to wear them again but because they meant something to me. I have been meaning to make a quilt out of them. I even went so far as to cut them all up into little squares. And then I moved them with me to 4 different houses. People say quilting is easy but I seriously had NO idea how to turn those little squares into a quilt. I couldn't even fathom it. (My sewing skills are null to void, to say the least.) I decided to take some quilting classes and have made great strides from clueless to hopeful. I have even gotten the squares out and worked on them a bit as evidenced by the picture here.



Yes, all those squares are now sewn together. They look like the beginnings of a quilt. I still have yet to put the border on it and that may well take me another 15 years. Let's hope not.

One more thing: Just look at this seam. It is perfect! Can you tell the four lines come together PER-FECT-LY?



I did that.

3 comments:

Shelina said...

You did a great job. When you put on the borders, just measure through the center of the quilt rather than the sides, so that the border sides are exactly the same size. This keeps it nice and square.

Jen said...

You certainly did do a great job! Wow! I am so impressed!

I made quilts for my kids when they were born, but this is the first I have heard about a border.

Oops.

Quelly said...

I am so unbelievably proud I can hardly stand it! Your seams match up PERFECTLY!!! When is your quilting party? I finally have a minute to breath and would love to join you if you haven't already had it...