Saturday, July 08, 2006

We interrupt this summer vacation for a 4th of July vacation

Shame on me for being such a poor blogger. It hasn't been for lack of things to blog about. I have determined that life is just busy and most of the time I wouldn't have it any other way. I enjoy filling up the little boxes on my monthly calendar with lunches, soccer, camps, classes, parties and activities. We just went on the 2nd annual 4th of July Montana trip. Just as fun as the first year! Except that I was sick for 4 days of it. And couldn't fulfill my goal of eating 17 soft serve ice cones like last year. The weather was great. The river was flowing. The foilage was gorgeous green. The company was delightful.
I love it up there in Dearborne, Montana. It is a little community hunkered up next to the Missouri River inbetween Great Falls and Helena-probably 40 miles each way. I continue to wonder if I would make it through an isolated winter up there but fortunately for me, it isn't pertinent that I know that answer because I am not going to have to do that anytime soon.
We floated the river 2 days and had our own firework display 2 nights. The husbands turn 10 years old in the face of fireworks. It is amazing and an eternal truth. The boy tent and the girl tent faced off every night withs silly string, water balloons and tent raids. There was a great joy in riding the four wheelers and the motorcycles all over the fields. The only damper came when we were told there was a mountain lion prowling around up at the waterfall so we couldn't go there. But we were still happy because last year both Chase and Braxton got some nasty road rash crashing their motorcycles and there was none of that this year. Yea! Cindy brought the huge bonzai falls slide and we just had ourselves a water rodeo.
We went to church on Sunday and was delighted and charmed with the small town feel of the congregation. I felt like I was in Mitford. I could see the characters from the book. They were even having a potluck after church if there was need for the perfect finishing touch. However, I have to add that although it added to the sense of small town I was so disappointed in the lack of acknowledgement for the birth of our country. I have such strong feelings for the forefathers of our country. And even though I truly believe that God's hand was in everything that they did I know that when they signed the Declaration of Independence with their solemn pledge swearing "their lives, their fortunes and their sacred honor" to fighting for freedom they meant it. They looked death and war and sacrifice in the face and chose to fight for independence. Whew!
ANYWAYS, it was really fun being at the home of the chinese laundress and her husband Kyle. She really never did stop doing laundry. And I am so thankful to them for inviting us and Cindy and Brian for continuing to call us friends.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Oh, that sounds so great. I would love to have another family to vacation with.

We are going up to Minnesota in August with our friend Kathy, but we won't have the kids with us. We had such a good time with you and your kids this summer-- we should do that more often.