Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Peterson's 15 seconds of fame

Several years ago when Ryan was 10 years old we enrolled her in a summer acting class at the Hale Centre Theatre. She went every day from 8 to 5 for a couple of weeks. They worked on singing, presentation, acting, and I am sure all sorts of girl giggling as well. She had a really good time. One day I picked her up and she had a “big secret” grin on her face.
“Guess who I talked to on the phone today?!?”
“Who?” I ask without any thought as to who it could be.
“Orlando Bloom!”

I was reduced to a blithering idiot. My voice came out in a strangled rush. “WHAT?!?! What are you talking about? WHAT?" I found I couldn't really remember any other words. "What?!? Do you even know who Orlando Bloom is?”
“Sure, the guy who is in Pirates of the Carribean.”
“How did you talk to him? WHAT?”

It turns out that her teacher was something of a behind the scenes/makeup guru who had worked in Hollywood off and on during the years. She had many friends who were up and coming actors—not to mention hunks of big melting manmeat. She had arranged for Orlando to call her during one of the afternoon sessions for Ryan’s class so they could each have a little telephone treat.

“So what did you say? What did you say to him?”
“Hi.”
“OK, what else did you say? How did the conversation go?”
“He said, Hi.” I said “Hi.”
“OK, what else?”
“He said ‘What is your name?’”
“And you said……?”
“Hi. And then he said ‘Do you like acting class?’”
“And you said……?”
“Hi.”

Soon after that there was talk of Orlando Bloom hooking up with many starry eyed starlets. Needless to say, he was just not wowed enough by Ryan Ali Peterson that he wanted to hold out for her. Almost......not quite. Darn.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I just about died of laughter from reading this post.